Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Writing Coach

So unwittingly I've ventured into the world of being a "Writing Coach". Does the profession exist? I'm guessing it probably does but I've never personally heard of one. I have friend who is getting her PhD and when she heard I wasn't working said she had a business proposition for me. Of course that peeked my interest.

She asked me if I'd be willing to be her "Writing Coach", since she knew I was interested in the field of coaching in general. So what is a writing coach in this context. Basically I don't edit or help in anyway with her writing; I'm simply a sounding board and someone to encourage her to do her writing, hold to her goals, help her determine if her current goals are realistic, cheer her on when she meets them or even partially meets them, and then call her on certain issues. For example, today she kept referring to a paper as being "scary". I think languaging is incredibly important as to how we hold something in our lives. So I asked her if she could stick to the work "long" which may not carry as any connotations.

I think it is helping her but I'm only midway through week 2 of helping her. BTW--if any of you out there would want me to do the same for you. I can do this over e-mail or by phone. I'm currently charging $30/hr, which is very inexpensive in the coaching world. For her that comes out to about $15/week since we are only doing this by e-mail.

Think about it if you have a big writing project or any project you need to get done. We may need to negotiate price, but I think I can help you.

No comments: