Friday, December 7, 2007

Coaching as an Innate Life Function

So I guess I love to offer advice (I know this is anathema to the coaching field)..but bear with me I'm still going to call it coaching. So remember back to my bus driver connection in a previous blog (the guy who brought me the furniture). Well he gave me a connection to his ex-wife who he is still friends with. I called her today and she's involved with the Mountaineer Players and needed advice on how to raise $ for their plays and a day camp. I called her today and she was awesome. Well I thought she might have a paying job for me but no such luck. But did that stop me from offering my free and very good advice. Of course not!

I found myself getting really excited about it. And for those who are on their Passion Search....remember..this is a key to finding out what you really love. I gave her many different options from going to the library in Redmond and working with this amazing librarian and resource, Jeannette Privat, who is a whiz at finding foundations to contact for grants, to contacting the Chamber of Commerce on the Kitsap peninsula to find out about local businesses to approach. I even told her how to approach the businesses. Finally, I suggested that she talk to the board of the Mountaineer Foundation (their umbrella) and see if they are doing an end of year mailing and whether they can be part of the ask with an earmark for their plays and CAMP. Alternatively they could write a year end letter to those folks who have attended their plays--see who sends a check and then keep them on their hit list of folks to invite to a small gathering, explaining further their plans for their plans and the camp.

Putting yourself out into the universe in positive ways is important. Helping others is important. It will come back to you in ways you don't expect.

No comments: