Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Making Connections: 2 Degrees of Separation

What a wild day! I'm sitting on the bus across from an African American man that I recognize to be the same person who I met in the unemployment office 2 years ago. He's Zaid Abdul (can't recall his entire name) but he used to play for the Sonics. When I met him 2 years ago he was looking for a job as a counselor but he was also just starting to write a book about his life.

In my typical outgoing fashion, I say "sir, are you the same person I met in the unemployment office 2 years ago"....and is that the finished copy of the book you were writing about your life? He nods in agreement.

He's knows the bus driver and as he's walking off the bus mentions that he needs to find someone to write the music to a poem in his book. I yell after him, I know someone!

I talk to the bus driver who turns out to be this very interested dude who also is a playwright and also needs someone to write music for his plays.

Now for the most bizarre part. I call my friend up who writes music....she hasn't really done much with it yet, but it's what she does really well just not for a living. I tell her the story. She stops me and says "Lynn, I have Zaid's book and not only that M. knows him". That's her partner. "What", I say? How is this possible. Apparently he wrote most of his book at the library where M. works.

"So", I say to her, "when are you going to call him..this is just too big of a coincidence to pass up". "Tomorrow", she says. "Cool", I say. I can hardly wait to get the call back that she did it.

No comments: