Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chemical Sensitivities and Fragrance

For those of us in the world who wake up each day not knowing how we'll feel, life can be challenging. I long for the day when I can consistently wake up refreshed and charged up knowing that my head will be unfuzzy and my remarks will be brilliant because I have the energy to recall that joke from long ago. I also long for the day that I'll get out of bed and won't feel dizzy and can actually say "yes" to a hike in the Cascades.

Because I'm now working with a woman who wears perfume, I've noticed that I'm have more brain fuzz than usual. I got up the guts to tell her how it's been affecting me and luckily she agreed to stop wearing it. Of course who knows how long it will take for her clothes to stop smelling from it.

As a result of this assault on my senses, I really am beginning to believe that my head fuzz and dizziness is a result of being around small amounts of perfume each day. I know even I could be better about using products with no fragrance at all even though for the most part, everything I have is fragrance free.

Some day like smoking, fragrance will be illegal in the workplace. Luckily I work for a hospital so there is a fragrance free policy. I just think it will take a few more canaries in the mine for this to be a no brainer for business.

No comments: