Monday, April 21, 2008

Passover Miracles

My mother handed me over our 30 year plus Haggadah when I arrived at her home in Chicago and the place I was born. She pointed out how these well worn, wine encrusted Haggadahs had my name, my oldest brothers name and the name of my first friend Linda next to the sections we were supposed to read. How wierd is that she entoned. A few days later we would be paying a visit to my eldest friend who has by all strokes of the imagination (no pun intended) survived a brain hemorrhage and is doing unbelievably well after only a few short months. We arrive at her and her husbands condo and who helps deliver us to our parking spot in this downtown Chicago highrise, but one of her brothers. "What is he doing here", I think to myself? Then we walk in the door and not only is he there but so are Linda's other brother and his wife all the way from Florida. It doesn't dawn on me until I look at the table that we are going to be having 2nd night Seder. How cool is this I think and how miraculous that my friend is fully capable of reading the parts that are offered her. Still missing a major piece of her skull, she has all her faculties about her. She's a little slow moving and not her usual exuberant self but for the most part she is back.

It's so terrific when we can attach the miracle of the crossing of the Red Sea to the miracles that surround us each day. Let us thank G-d for the ordinary and not so ordinary miracles in our lives. Hag Sameach!

No comments: